Buzzings from a quilter who bumbles her way through life!

Friday, March 18, 2011

An Irish Blessing and a Trip to Houston!



Irish Blessing
Yesterday was St. Patrick's Day. My heritage is mostly Scottish (my maiden name was Duncan!), but I would love to claim Ireland as part of my heritage. I've never been there, but I've seen pictures of the lush, green hills, the sheep in the meadows, the ocean lapping at the rocky coastline. The pictures look dreamy! 
This new quilt pattern doesn't depict any of that. It isn't even green. BUT, it does have an Irish blessing on it that I think is a beautiful sentiment:
May God give you for every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile. For every care a promise and a blessing with each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share. For every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer. 

That would be a sweet sentiment for a newly married couple,  a graduating senior or just for someone you love. 

Yesterday was a special day for me. My sister and I drove to Houston to meet Lana, a blogger friend whom I had never met face to face! You may follow her blog, . It Seams to be Sew... 
 Lana, Darla (my sister) and I met at a local mall and because we were all "starving", we went to lunch. Unfortunately, I tried to open my car door too soon after Darla stopped the car and it wouldn't unlock. We tried all the standard things to get the door unlocked including restarting the car, putting it in gear, etc. etc. I was about to just climb over the driver's seat from the passenger seat when Lana, who was probably wondering about these two crazy sisters, gave some advice about how to get the door open. It worked. Now, I want you to realize that my sister and I are not stupid or unintelligent. We have college degrees. We have managed to get out of cars for many years! I think that if we chewed gum, we could "walk and chew gum at the same time". Anyway, we managed to make it through a meal without incident. We felt that we had known Lana for years! She is as sweet and funny as she appears in her blog. 
After eating, Lana took us to a new Joann's, where I stocked up on fat quarters 30% off and a cute bumble bee box and bumble bee buttons.
Then the excitement began. We got caught in "The Twilight Zone". We kept going in circles trying to find  Quilters Emporium. We probably made a loop three times, each time turning too soon and missing the shop. (Houston is known for its traffic and difficult freeways!) Finally, about the time we thought Lana was just taking us on the scenic route, we found it.  Quilters Emporium is a wonderful shop! If you're in the area, you should check it out. 
After this, we said our goodbyes and headed home. ( Lana, we even stopped on the way home and I was able to get my door open! I know you'll be proud of us.)  
By the way, everyone, be sure and stop back by on Monday! I will post a new tutorial for a cute little item you may want to make!! 
 

1 comment:

  1. What adorable ladies you are! I really enjoyed the visit, the shopping and the now infamous "Tour of Texas"! I can't wait to meet up again!

    ReplyDelete

You can leave your comment here! (I'm so sorry, but if you are an Anonymous commenter, your comment will not publish. This is because of the huge amounts of spam that I have received from anonymous sources.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...