Buzzings from a quilter who bumbles her way through life!

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Out My Back Door Today!

I was drawn to my back patio just a little while ago by a sweet fragrance and a flutter of activity.  I had opened the French door to our patio to check what the outside temperature was like. I have three loquat trees that have been ready to bloom for a few weeks. They are starting to open now and the fragrance has drawn butterflies and bees galore. The aroma is much like frangiapani or a sweet jasmine. 

 Yes, I am writing this in December and my Christmas tree is up inside. My husband has "enrobed" the house in icicle lights and I'm playing Christmas music nonstop. But....it's like spring outside. The weather has settled into a nice pattern of days in the mid 70's, it is foggy in the mornings and sunny the rest of the day. The closest I will get to a white Christmas is a bubble bath!


We will eventually have a cold night or two or maybe even three! (Just enough to nip the flowers in the bud and kill off the heat loving greenery.) There has been snow here, by the way! There was actually a BIG snow here in Pleasanton in the 1980's just after my parents retired here. It was such an unusual thing, my daddy can tell you the exact date and time that it happened! So, every year I keep my fingers crossed that we might have a fluke like that again and I'll wake up to a white world,  have a fire in the fireplace and sip hot cocoa that will warm me up instead of make me sweat! 
I have lived where it snowed. Here is our home in 2004, several years before we moved back to Texas. Snow is very romantic as long as the power stays on and you don't have to drive in it!
 
If you live where it snows and gets really cold, I both envy you and feel sorry for you! I just wish I could switch it on like I do the air conditioner! Then, when the snow gets dirty and slushy and my feet are frozen, I can turn springtime  back on! 



post signature 

13 comments:

  1. Oh LInda you do make me laugh...a bubble bath...mmm mine are pink....pink bubbles..my kids send me this amazing balls from their country that make pink bubbles...so you have pink snow .lol..
    I love your old home..how lovely..I love the snow sooo much...we just came in from a walk..it feels like spring here...and all of our grass is green..but we don't have any monarchs...at least I did not see any wink..

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post.....and you made me smile, too! I like to look at snow but I doubt I have the stamina for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gorgeous butterflies!!! I do live where it snows, but not enough. I'd rather have boatloads of snow instead of just slush. I love driving in it. But given a choice, I'd take 74 degrees year round!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tree and the butterflies are such a beautiful colour. Looks like the elf is looking for some hot chocolate. I am glad I don't live where there is snow. I would like to visit somewhere that I could have a white Christmas once in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. I agree about turning the snow off and on as I do live where it snows and we lose power. Your home is lovely. Holiday Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely pics there Linda.xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures.... love the butterfly and I can almost smell the flowers! I'm in Indiana and we haven't had more than a few flakes so far, which is pretty unusual. I do love the snow and in spite of a bad back, I even love shoveling! It's been way too warm here, but colder temps are on the way. I'm hoping that we have a white Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great thoughts Linda. We are also experiencing 70 degree temps here. I am personally ready for a little bit of COLD!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so agree with you!!!! I would love snow on Christmas Day and the next day could be spring again!! Merry Christmas to all!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, Linda. We're going to get a slight freeze next week way up here in Austin. Whoo-hoo. Finally, I'll get to wear a coat. Snow is for traveling. Warm is for home. Be well. Lane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post and great pictures! I`m in northwest Arizona. We are still in the low 70`s, but tomorrow we drop to 60 and 34 at night. I haven`t had the heat on yet. This weekend I`m sure we will. We may have a white Christmas. Snow usually is gone in a day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've had warm weather here in North Carolina, as well (60's), but I wish we would have a cold winter because last winter it was warm and we had tons of mosquitoes in the summer! Love the pics of the butterflies! Pretty!

    ReplyDelete

You can leave your comment here! (I'm so sorry, but if you are an Anonymous commenter, your comment will not publish. This is because of the huge amounts of spam that I have received from anonymous sources.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...